Check out Episode #3 of the Podcast for the audio version!
We are talking about why network marketers want to brand themselves and not their network marketing company! Ok, I know you are thinking… whaaa? My MLM has a brand, I just use their branding that’s easy.
Annnnd Yes, you can do that, but you may want to think twice.
You are SO much more than a network marketer, and you have so much more to give than the products that you sell for your MLM company. I want you to be able to Create a business that is unique to you and use your MLM products as a tool to help your customers.
Today I am not only talking about what branding is and why it’s SO very important for network marketers…. But we are going to list ways that you can actually start branding your business today.
Why network marketers want to brand themselves – Why is a personal brand important?
I think when we become our own business, from the outside where your network is looking in on your business, We become a real business.
We become more professional, and more of an expert at what we are doing. It’s doesn’t mean we aren’t MLMs it just means we are more than that, and by the way, we actually have awesome products that you can purchase to help you get whatever it is you need.
I talked before about finding solutions for your network…. You do that, and use your products as tools. But ultimately you are your own business. And you can portray that really well with good branding.
This is the opposite of what everyone has been doing in the past but I am seeing more and more people starting to do this and have a lot of success!
It’s not enough anymore to just sell popular products. For instance, a lot people are not going to just buy from you because you sell shampoo or makeup. They can get that anywhere… You have to be able to connect with people on a more emotional level.
Alright before we get too deep into this, Let’s first talk about what a brand is.
Why network marketers want to brand themselves – What is a brand?
Typically when you think of branding you think of color, logo, songs. Right? And It is those…. But it’s also so much more!
Your brand is you! It’s your style and colors of the clothes you wear, your personality, and your tone of voice. Are you upbeat and silly?? Or reserved and quiet?? Are you fun, classy, energetic, feminine?
It’s how you make people feel when they see you or talk to you? And it’s not just on social media or pictures, it can be in your packaging, your samples, or thank you cards, business cards.
Like I said, people don’t usually buy things anymore because they need them… There are way too many options out there. They buy things from people that they like, know, and trust, but more importantly, the person that they can relate to.
Think about some of these things and try to stick to that every time you put out your content or create something. They are important because when you build a brand and you are consistent… It helps to connect you to your target market. It helps your customer to recognize you and they will also remember you more easily!
Grab this download ASAP it’s going to help you figure out your own visual brand! It’s a branding template that you can use to keep track of your brand, It’s my personal one but you just fill it in with your own info. I refer to mine ALL the time when I am making images for Pinterest or social media. It’s really helpful especially when you are trying to remember those darn color numbers!
Think about what you want to be known for!
So, I know you are probably STILL thinking, I am in network marketing why does this matter? We already have colors images and logo… But, I want you to think about what you want to be most known for?
- Do you want to be the health and wellness coach, that helps moms lose baby weight through a special diet? Or are you going to be that healthy MLM company’s distributor?
- Or how about a hair care specialist who helps women restore their hair after postnatal hair loss ( I don’t know if that’s really a thing that is just what came out haha) or are you your MLM distributor?
- Do you want to be known as the mom that helps other moms get control of their skin and look younger by using better makeup and teaching how to use it correctly? Or do you just sell MLM make up and announce sales?
Do you see where this is going?
This ties in a little bit with your message what is your message?? What are you going to tell people that you do?? You don’t want to just be a Network marketer that sells makeup… or a Network marketer that sells oils.
You want to be “Becky the natural living oil queen” be the expert that women come to when they want to start living more natural lives by avoiding harmful chemicals and using essential oils.
Get specific with your message and repeat yourself all the time.
(It obviously doesn’t have to be that extreme I’m just making it extremely obvious to understand)
So let’s say it’s the new year and you’re pumped to start this new lifestyle, this new diet and you’re going to lose weight you’re going to get healthier! You’re also a mom of four kids and you work full time…. and you have 2 friends…… Susie and a friend Sally that you have been following because they always have great info about losing weight as a working mom.
So you decide you are going to have one of them help you with the start to your new year and the start to your new healthy Journey. You go to each website…
- Susie’s first: you click on her link and it takes you straight to her MLM company’s website but it just information about the products and buying products maybe even some fun facts to help you lose weight but nothing really catered to you….. it’s basically everything you need to know about buying products.
- Then you go to Sally: you click on the website and it takes you to this beautiful clean web page called “Sally’s Sweet Life” she has this awesome logo with all her contact info. There is a blog with information about living healthy as a working mom. There are tips to keep you healthy during the busy day, and a whole section of recipes that are easy to make after work, there’s even a free download for a free 7-Day workout plan that you can do from home in 10 minutes!!! Then over to the left, she also has a shop tab where you can find different products that you can purchase to help you live a healthier lifestyle. As well as links embedded in each blog post so that when you are reading you can find the exact product that she is talking about like this.
I don’t know about you…. but I’m probably going to ask Sally to help me get started! And when Sally offers products for me to purchase, I’m probably going to buy them because I’m pretty confident that she knows exactly what she’s talking about! She seems more professional to me, she is more helpful and reliable. She is SO much more than a network marketer.
(which right now is typically the goal because people are so afraid of network marketers)
Why network marketers want to brand themselves – Here are some things that you can do today, to start branding yourself.
- Start simply with a logo…….. you can do this for free! If you go to Canva, they have a whole bunch of templates for logos. You can create your own or you can just choose one of theirs and plug in your colors and your information.
If you are saying right now “girl, I don’t have time for that or it sounds too difficult” then have someone make one for you!!! Etsy or Creative market are great places to start! They even have branding packages where they give you colors logos fonts the whole deal.
Now once you have that make sure you use it! Remember to be consistent.
- Start by just putting that logo on everything you do, like your email header, or any image you post on social media. You want people to start to recognize your logo as your brand.
- If you do live video you can use a product like ecam or obs (obs is free i believe) every time you go live you can have your logo in the top corner,
2. Choose Your brand colors and fonts. When you use Canva to create your images for social media or your website …….you can actually save your font and your brand colors there so you can easily keep all of your images on brand.
- You also want to wear your brand colors when you take pictures or go LIVE.
- Use those colors in all of your marketing (business cards, site colors, ect.)
- Whatever your style or colors are, have your background match that. It can be as simple as standing in front of a wall with your colors or having a backdrop that shows your brand style.
There was a girl that I followed, she was so happy and spunky! She loved all things glitter so she had a background for her LIVE videos that was just a sequin piece of fabric and it was perfect for her brand! There’s another woman I know that lives on a farm, so her brand is rustic farmhouse living.
Be consistent with it ….and just stick to it. It’s definitely a process. I am still slowly starting to get more pictures that are on brand for me for my website. So please know it’s not going to be perfect right away, but stick to it and have fun!
3. Now, if you’re like, “ok I got that, give me more… “and you want to take it one step further….. you can (and eventually should in my opinion), create your own website!
These days its really not that hard, inside of The Mama Means Business Academy I walk you through exactly how to do this but there are a lot of videos and tutorials out there that will help you.
There are also some really cheap websites that you can use to build your website on, however… Definitely, do some research before you choose to see which one has the features that work best for you and your business.
- Once you have a website, you can add different pages on your site. you can have a blog…. ( I think of a blog as just one place where all your social media posts are) and then you can have a shop page with your products.
- You can customize your site and really make it your own according to your brand. Some fun ideas are to do a featured item each month, add in some awesome opt-ins for your customers to download or special resources, have a recipe page or a tutorial page.
- NOW you can pin all of that content to Pinterest and that drives traffic to your website!!
But Pinterest… that is a whoooole topic for another day.
Why network marketers want to brand themselves – the advantages!
There are some advantages of having your own website and branding yourself, as your own business…. If you ever want to pivot in your business… maybe you want to start selling something else, or maybe your MLM company goes out of business. Then you’re no longer the Young Living distributor or the Monat market partner and you don’t have a business.
BUT, if you have branded yourself, you can do anything that you’re passionate about!
You can still sell shampoo but then you can also teach women different ways to style their hair by having a whole page of tutorials…. you can have a Blog on there encouraging moms and do tutorials on easy mom hairstyles or little girl hairstyles.
Take my business for example:
For me, for instance, once I started branding myself I wasn’t just a Beauty Guide anymore with my MLM. I was Jennie Hoover and my business is Mama Means Business. I am still a beauty guide with my MLM, but I also help other women with their own MLMs. With a podcast and a membership site. My courses, and a blog all under the Mama Means Business Brand. My brand is evolving as I evolve! And you WILL evolve too!
So it doesn’t matter what you evolve to you’re always going to be yourself so start your business as yourself not your network marketing company!
Your brand all around…. is the way you make people feel, the way people think of you, the way you help people, your brand is you! And when you are you, you’re going to attract people that need someone just like you and THAT is the sweet spot!
Alright girlfriend, try some of those things and let me know how it goes!!!…email me or DM me on Instagram!
I would love if you Join us in the Mama Means Business Academy so we can dive deeper into this and put this stuff to work!…. I hope to see you there!